Mobile Engagement Drives Happier Holidays for Retailers
Published on 9 Dec 2014
Want to see all our holiday benchmark reports, including our latest? Here are the links:
- Mobile Shopping Trends During Cyber Week 2014
- Mobile Shopping Trends During Cyber Week 2015
- Mobile Shopping Trends During Cyber Week 2016
Perhaps no other time of the year brings mobile’s massive transformation into such sharp focus as the holidays, where the confluence of consumers looking for deals and retailers counting on cashing in on a very significant portion of annual sales meet with unbridled enthusiasm.
Shoppers clearly had their mobile device in hand on every key day during Cyber Week.
- Mobile traffic to online retailers accounted for more than half of all online traffic on Thanksgiving Day
- Smartphones drove 34.7% of all Black Friday traffic
- Mobile sales accounted for 22% of all Cyber Monday sales and 41.2% of online traffic
This is huge news, especially for retailers that have focused valuable efforts developing an app in order to be in their customers’ hands at the moment of need, inspiration and action—in-store or out.
To help inform the remainder of your holiday strategy and enhance 2015 planning, Urban Airship’s Strategy Consulting team has repeated its analysis of holiday retail push notification performance between 11/22 and 12/4 using the same 150 retail apps as last year. You can download the full report: Urban Airship’s 2014 Holiday Recap right here.
Examples of mobile messaging from top brands for Cyber Week
Findings show increased adoption of mobile messaging by retailers and a very positive response from shoppers:
- Retailers sent 34% more push notifications compared to last year
- More than one-third of all retail app opens were attributable to a push notification
- Consumers’ engagement rate with push notifications doubled over the 2013 holiday season
- App users were most engaged with notifications the Saturday before Thanksgiving